Photo Collective invites tertiary and highschool student photographers residing in Australia or Australian citizens living overseas to enter the 2021 APA Student Award.
Since launching in 2016, the APA Student Award has created an important space for emerging photographers to gain recognition and advance their career.
We seek to award and celebrate the perspectives of early-career photographers while amplifying the voices of the next generation.
Our committee is particularly interested in discovering the ways that students are engaging with photography in new and exciting ways. When viewing work, we consider intent and meaning alongside technical ability.
We seek to recognise work which can open important dialogues and explore big ideas through photography. Our committee considers context beyond the surface of the image. We do not encourage work which exploits, endangers, harms or stereotypes. For this reason, image statements are a valuable tool in conveying concepts, techniques and ideas. We encourage entrants to consider pairing their photographs with words.
HOW MUCH TO ENTER?
If you are currently a student at highschool or enrolled at a tertiary institution, you are eligible to enter the Student Award.
To enter you must complete a paid submission in any of the other categories (excluding Junior). During Step 4 of the submission process, you can opt into the Student Award by selecting the check box. At this point your entries will be automatically submitted to the Student Award alongside your chosen category at no additional cost.
E.g. an image entered into the Portrait Category will cost A$30 and will also go into the Student Category at no additional cost.
- Themes do not have to be Australian, images can be made anywhere in the world
- All elements must be produced by the entrant
- Entrants must have been a secondary or tertiary student at the time the photograph was submitted and have a valid, current student identification
- All entrants 15 or under should enter the Junior Award
- Please do not add any watermarks to your entries. All entries with watermarks on will be disqualified
- Please do not enter any images that have been entered into APA in previous years as they will be disqualified