“Somebody said recently that the best thing a student could do was to get in some shows and publish a book; but nothing about becoming a human being, nothing about having important feelings or concepts of humanity. That’s the sort of thing that is bad education. I’d say be a human being first and if you happen to wind up using photography, that’s good for photography.”
– Henry Holmes Smith
The Student category is open to all secondary or tertiary students and spans all genres. We love seeing the outlook that young, fresh photographers have and wholeheartedly support this new generation of photographers.
The Student category is a free entry when the entrant has submitted to one of the other main categories. This way the entrant has a chance to win their chosen category as well as the student category.
We are looking for original, thought provoking imagery. We love imagery that excels at storytelling and allows us to see photography in a new light. Although we accept imagery that has been entered in other competitions we are on a mission to find original, undiscovered work we have not seen before.
HOW MUCH TO ENTER?
- Entries must be 100% photographic and all elements must be produced by the entrant.
- Entrants must have been a secondary or tertiary student at the time the photograph was captured and have a valid, current student identification which could be asked for at the time of judging.
- Entrants must follow the rules of their entered category. Entries will be judged with the context of their original categories and the rules they must follow. Ultimately judging will aim to reward great photography on its own merits.
- Please do not add any watermarks to your entries as the judging is anonymous. All entries with watermarks on will be disqualified.
- Please do not enter any images that have been entered into APA in previous years as they will be disqualified.