Photo Collective invites photographers residing in Australia or Australian citizens living overseas to enter the 2021 APA Documentary Award.
Since launching in 2016, the APA Documentary Award has created an important space for the changing ways Australian photographers tell authentic stories.
We seek to award and celebrate traditional, experimental and contemporary approaches to documentary storytelling which can teach us about the world we live in.
Our committee is particularly interested in finding honest, thought-provoking stories. We encourage research driven and collaborative frameworks alongside observational and personal perspectives. When viewing work, we consider intent and meaning alongside technical ability.
We seek to recognise work which can open important dialogues and explore big ideas through photography. Our committee considers context beyond the surface of the image. We do not encourage work which exploits, endangers, harms or stereotypes. For this reason, image statements are a valuable tool in conveying concepts, techniques and ideas. Image statements are compulsory when entering the Documentary award.
• (1x) Nikon Z7 Camera body + NIKKOR Z 14-30mm f4 S kit valued at A$4,500
• (1x) Format Framing (print and frame) voucher (600 x 900 mm) valued at A$310
• (1x) Momento Pro Voucher valued at A$100
• (1x) Urth Essentials Filter Kit Plus+ valued between A$107 – A$283
• (1x) 1 hour Mentorship Session with Photo Collective valued at A$195
• (1x) Ilford Sprite 35-II reusable camera valued at A$60
• (1x) 12 month membership to Photo Collective valued at A$75
• Feature in the 2021 APA Annual
HOW MUCH TO ENTER?
- Entries must be 100% photographic and single capture
- Editing encouraged for basic adjustments and cropping. Elements can be cropped out, however elements cannot be removed by other means such as cloning
- Elements cannot be added including the addition of textures
- Dust spots and markings from the camera itself rather than the subject matter can be removed
- Diptychs and triptychs are allowable
- Documentary submissions require the accompaniment of a caption
- Please do not add any watermarks to your entries. All entries with watermarks will be disqualified
- Please do not enter any images that have been entered into APA in previous years as they will be disqualified